Monday, December 31, 2007
As usual for me, tonight's plans involve a party, though a much smaller one than I've gone to for the past two years. If you're going out, stay safe, and if you're staying in, what's wrong with you?
See you in 2008!
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Saturday, December 22, 2007
The next step for "Peter Cavan" is that he need his own blog. Maybe I'll work on that for 2008.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Also, it's holiday party season and my schedule has been booked solid with gatherings of one kind or another. Monday night was the office party on Wall Street and I took it easy on my liver, my stomach, and my dancing shoes. I did have a great time enjoying the firm's largess and another year at this job. The evening reminded me that as much as I sometimes complain about work, I know some great people here and I have an extremely generous employer. As for the rest of the week, I have dinner with new friends tonight, as-yet-undetermined birthday plans tomorrow, two parties on Friday night and something else on Saturday evening. And then there's the matter of passing the time on the 7+ hour train ride back to Johnstown. Last year I watched episodes of "Heroes" that I'd downloaded, but this year I don't have any TV series to catch up on. Maybe I'll work my way through some Netflix movies and some podcasts instead.
Thursday, December 13, 2007
ASIDE: I'm not sure why I watch that show anymore. It's become a vehicle for David Kelley's left-wing rants about Iraq via Alan Shore. I'm as liberal as the next raised-in-PA-living-in-NY Democratic Jew, but even I'm getting tired of the same shtick each week. Also, Crane, Poole, and Schmidt NEVER loses. Even the firm on The Practice lost a case once in a while. But I like William Shatner/Denny Crane, so I guess that's why I stick with the show. And with the writers' strike, there aren't that many original episodes of anything left.
Anyway, we're looking at a big storm today, and another one on Saturday night. That might give me an opportunity to stay in and do some serious cooking and movie watching/Xbox gaming. I finished Halo 3's single-player campaign last night so now I can focus on getting my ass handed to me by 12-year-olds everywhere on Xbox Live. I'm also playing Guitar Hero III, but my guitar needs a tuneup. The GHIII guitar comes in two pieces and sometimes the neck doesn't connect to the body properly, so some of the fret buttons don't work at critical times, like last night when I was trying to play "One" by Metallica. At the fast section the green button is crucial to the main riff, and it wouldn't respond so I failed the song. I'm going to try a couple of DIY fixes and see if I can improve things.
Monday, December 10, 2007
As 2007 comes to an end...
1) Where did you begin 2007?
At an overcrowded party on the Upper East Side with the woman I was dating at the time. We should have just stayed home.
2) What was your status by Valentine’s Day?
3) Were you in school (anytime this year)?
Doing the same job I've had for the past seven years.
4) How did you earn your money?
Just for my other job with HealthTV, not for any actual health problems.
5) Did you have to go to the hospital?
6) Did you have any encounters with the police?
7) Where did you travel this year?
8) What did you purchase that was over $1,000?
My HDTV and my new sofa.
9) Did you know anybody who got married?
My ex-wife's grandmother, and my cat Vladi.
10) Did you know anybody who passed away?
11) Biggest surprise?
12) Did you move anywhere?
13) What concerts/shows did you go to?
The Police at MSG, Madama Butterfly at the Met, Avenue Q on Broadway
14) Are you registered to vote?
Yes, but I didn't vote this year. In my defense, it was an off-off-year election.
15) Who did you want to win Dancing with the Stars?
I don’t watch it.
16) Where do you live now?
The Upper East Side of Manhattan, in the same apartment I've had for the past four years.
17) Describe your birthday?
18) What's one thing you thought you'd never do but did in 2007?
Go to a meetup of online friends and have one of the best nights of the year.
19) What has been your favorite moment?
Watching the New York Philharmonic season premiere concert in Lincoln Square with Kate.
20) What's something you learned about yourself?
I'm doing better on my own than I ever thought possible.
21) Any new additions to your family?
My cat Grady
22) What was your best month?
23) What music will you remember 2007 by?
Icky Thump by the White Stripes, Paul Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphoses, Barber's Violin Concerto
24) Who has been your best drinking buddy?
My friends from work.
25) Favorite night out?
Friday, December 07, 2007
raid on Glasgow, Scotland, where my grandfather had sent his family to
avoid the bombings in London.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT?
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
15. RED OR PINK?
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU?
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
22. IF YOU WHERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
23. FAVORITE SMELLS?
Coffee, simmering tomato sauce.
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
25. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
27. HAIR COLOR?
8. EYE COLOR?
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
30. FAVORITE FOOD?
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Winter. I love the wind and snow.
35. HUGS OR KISSES?
Don't these two usually go together?
36. FAVORITE DESSERT?
Apple pie a la mode.
37. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
38. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
before The Golden Compass opens.
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
41. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON T.V. LAST NIGHT?
42. FAVORITE SOUND?
An orchestra playing Beethoven.
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
44. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE VACATION SPOT?
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?